Saturday, June 30, 2007

Lawyers and Divorce

I recently played golf with an attorney and his college age son. We had a great time hitting that little ball around the cow pasture but before long Jim asked me if I was retired? "No" I answered. "I have stopped running the counseling center. Now I work with people and groups to prevent people from going to see you for a divorce."

Jim laughed and replied, "My firm does not do domestic cases. However, we do have to get involved in businesses when there are family squabbles. But I hate it. People hold grudges and try to punish other family members over nothing. I wouldn't want your job."

My Professor, Dr. Ed Friedman, was fond of saying, "In America divorce is easy but separation if impossible." Legally divorce can be accomplished in a very short time, but separating the emotional and spiritual connections of a family can prove to be daunting.

Many couples divorce and still argue over the businesses, the kids and grand kids for thirty years. This is especially true when the kids take sides against one parent and for the "Victim". This often leads to years of them punishing the "bad" parent and even try to destroy the family business.

At one time I was naively thinking that I could talk people into being nice or acting Christ like. Now I know differently and pray a lot more for a couple than I preach to them. I am trying to stop being a rescuer and allow God to save people. After all, only God can send a Messiah.

No comments: